Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Balancing School with Running a Business


 
Balancing school (or work) with running and maintaining your own business can be incredibly challenging without some sort of organization. Here are some tips and techniques that have worked for me:
 
 
(1) Set Priorities and Boundaries: This is the most helpful tip I can give you! It is imperative that you set your priorities first - and this is different for everybody. For me, studying and homework comes before blogging, creating new products for my Etsy shop, etcetera. However, managing FivePlumsDesigns is truly a passion of mine...so I still set aside a great deal of time to devote to it, which leads me to my next piece of advice...
 
(2) Do Business on the Weekends: I devote the majority of my time on week-days to schoolwork, leaving week-ends for me to devote to FivePlumsDesigns! This is a schedule that works perfectly for me!
 
(3) Smart Multitask: This is the most abstract idea, but I think it can be equally as insightful as the other points! Smart multitask. An example of this is actually combining school with your business. Are there courses you can take at school that would benefit your business in some way? Besides core courses, I enjoy taking art classes which cover the creative aspect, and business-oriented classes such as economics, personal finance, or e-Commerce classes. Not only are you doing schoolwork, but you are learning concepts that you can directly implement into your business!
 
(4) Work Ahead: For me, this is mostly referring to blog posts! I will write them on the weekend (my time devoted to the blog & shop) and post them throughout the week! Whatever you can do ahead of time...DO it!! It will benefit you later on.
 
 
If you have any other tips or tricks for balancing your to-do's...leave them in the Comments! I would love to read them! Have a fantastic Wednesday!!
 
Zoe


No comments:

Post a Comment